top menu

LÖFFLER, BERTOLD

Bertold Löffler (1874-1960) studied at the Kunstgewerbeschule in Vienna (1890-1900) under Carl Otto Czeschka.  Working as a freelance illustrator from 1900, he contributed to the art journals Meggendorfer BlatterVer SacrumDie liebe AugustinLucifer, and Danauland. Loeffler gained his first recognition for his work on the portfolio Allegorien und Embleme, neue Folge (Allegories and Emblems, New Cycle),  published by Martin Gerlach in 1900. Together with Michael Powolny he founded the Wiener Keramik in 1906 and then joined the Wiener Werkstätte in 1907 after collaborating on the graphics and ceramic tiles for the Cafe Fledermaus.